If you believe living with curly hair is equivalent to living in a constant state of chaos, you probably have not heard of hair plopping. Yup, girl, hair plopping-- the hair drying technique in which you use a cotton T-shirt to dry those curls. See? Now you are intrigued. Since you have not heard of this little trick yet, I am pretty sure you have been searching on how to achieve the frizz-free curls of your dreams but with no success. I feel you. It is true that having curly tresses is like having a box of surprises: you never know what you are going to get. But listen, with this hair plopping technique that I am talking about, you can have the best and most luscious curls of your life on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday-- every day! This is a promise!
Did you know that many women of color have been doing the plopping method for a long time now? You do not have to worry if you have just discovered this now. It is never too late to make those curls smooth and defined. Okay, enough of the introduction, I know you are very excited to know how you can get excellent hair. So, here is your guide on how to plop your curls.
Okay, first, allow me to explain briefly what hair plopping is. It is a no-heat method of hair drying for curly-haired people using cloth instead of rough towels, blow-dry, and other hot tools.
Is it effective? Safe? And is it easy to do? ABSOLUTELY!
So, how exactly should you plop?
- Step one, prepare the T-shirt before showering. Find a big cotton T-shirt with long sleeves. Short sleeves will work fine too. Any T-shirt will do, as long as it is cotton, but long-sleeved ones are much easier to manage. Then just lay the cotton T-shirt upside down (the sleeves closest to you) on a large, flat surface.
Why T-shirt? Can I just use a towel? Sorry, no. Towels are a big no-no here cause they absorb too much moisture which your locks need. Also, the harsh fiber of towels can cause frizz so it is advised to use a cotton T-shirt for hair plopping. A microfiber towel is okay too.
- When the shirt is set up, you can take a shower. When you are done, flip your hair forward to make all your tresses be in the center of the cotton shirt. Then place the bottom of the shirt at the nape of your neck.
- Now get and twist the sleeves (located near your forehead), and the back of the T-shirt (you can find them at the nape of your neck) together to tighten the hair cover. Then wrap the twisted sleeves around your head. To keep the shirt from falling off, tie the sleeves in place.
And that's it. You just have to wait for your hair to dry. Quick and easy. Uhh, maybe not that easy if you are doing it the first time, but you will get used to it after a few times.
You may wait for 30 minutes to two hours to let your hair dry. Some people even dry them overnight. It is up to you how long do you prefer to plop your mane. When your hair is dry, unwrap the T-shirt and look at those gorgeous curls!
To sum it up, here are the good things you'll get from plopping:
- It will help absorb excess products which can result in crunchy curls.
- It can enhance your curl pattern.
- It will soak up moisture without making your hair dry and creating frizz. Oh, yes?
Being blessed with natural curls is definitely a good thing. Sure, there are some annoying issues like frizz and dryness, but properly taking care of your hair and trying some safe and simple tricks to manage it will help you achieve the curls of your dreams. Check out the tutorial below to see how to properly plop your hair and get ready to slay your awesome locks!
If you want to get more beauty advice and some hair care tips, check out Black Lifestyle!